is an invisible and odorless radioactive gas, which occurs naturally from decaying uranium underneath the earth’s surface. You cannot see, smell, or taste radon it is there and may be a problem in your home
or workplace. When radon becomes trapped inside an enclosed space it can reach
dangerous and deadly levels. Continuous inhalation of radon gas damages lung
tissues causing lung cancer and long-term exposure may even cause death.
(Environmental Protection Agency) estimates that radon kills between 5,000 and 30,000 people each year. Nearly one in 15 homes are estimated to have elevated levels of radon.
Radon gas is the #1 cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.
greatest concentration of radon is usually found in the lowest levels of homes. This
is because radon moves up through basement floors, crawl spaces, cracks in foundations, sump pumps, and drain holes. Radon can also enter your home through your water supply (people with well water should
have test for radon in their water supply).
risk of developing lung cancer from Radon exposure can increase depending on:
- The Level of radon in your
home and office.
- The amount of time you have
spent exposed to radon.
- Whether you are a smoker or
have been exposed to tobacco smoke.
If your home has a high level of radon, trained professionals can reduce the radon levels in your home. You can find qualified radon reduction experts by contacting the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)
or the State Radon Office.